To Kill or Not To Kill?

Well, it's finals week here for my students and I'm finally able to touch my blog again. The first order of business was to update my blogroll, ensuring that I added links for De Immigrant, Revolution Island, and SmallIslandGirl. Also fixed the link description for Stunner's Afflictions (i.e. I took the apostraphe out of Afflictions). Anyhow, how unnu week start? Mine started out quite well, with Ms. Pebbles flying down to Little Big City on the weekend. House feels like a home again rasta!

Anyhow, the gentleman pictured on this morning's post is Stanley Tookie Williams. For those of you who know a little something about the history of American street gangs, particularly the Bloods and the Crips, you'll probably recognize him as a co-founder of the Crips. I believe there was even a movie portraying his life story, where his role was played Jamie Foxx.

The question of the day is whether or not they should execute him tomorrow. Note that even though he does have a violent history and was convicted of killing quite a few people, he does appear to be reformed and has even become a strong anti-gang activist, publishing several childrens books with anti-gang messages.

I contend that maybe his death sentence should be commuted to life in prison with no hope of parole, as opposed to death by lethal injection. Why? Because the man is an example of how productive black people can be behind bars and perhaps his life does still have some merit based on the type of person he is now. Oh well, let's wait and see what Governer Schwarzenegger's office has to say later today.

So, what do you all think? To Kill or Not To Kill?

Comments

De Immigrant said…
I don't care who, when or what he did. Killing him solves nothing. I have always been totally against the death penalty, all they do is kill the mentally ill, abused, and poor. Revenge is mine sayeth The Lord.
Tanks for the link still, I have nuff I need to add to my blog also.
Abeni said…
I got mixed feelings about the death penalty.Having said that if he really guilty then those crimes worthy of being put to death.
CoolDestiny said…
Life without parole. If the state execute him, they are no better than he is.