Suspended For Speaking Spanish?

I was surfing the newspaper links a few minutes ago and came across a very interesting article about a teenager, Zach Rubio, who was suspended from his high school in Kansas for speaking Spanish to a fellow classmate (you can read the entire article here). Apparently, the youngster was outside of his classroom on a restroom break when a friend asked him for $1 in Spanish. Of course, the youngster, who happens to be bilingual, responds in Spanish and the two end up having a full blown conversation. Eventually a teacher overheard the two boys talking and sent them to the principal's office where they were suspended.

Honestly, I believe that these kids should be rewarded for their fluency in multiple languages instead of being made to feel ashamed of their cultural identity, especially when they were outside of the classroom and from all indications weren't being disruptive! Maybe because I speak Spanish and Patois along with the Queen's English I'm a little bit more sensitive to these issues than other people? I don't know, tell me what you think.

Have a safe and wonderful weekend all! I shall endeavour to ensure that I don't go sliding over snow and ice with all the bad weather we've been having lately!

Comments

Mad Bull said…
Wow! It is a crazy world after all... and here I was thing how good it would be for MBJr. to learn Spanish.
De Immigrant said…
Dat a madness!! Obviously the admin at the school feel very insecure about what is probably a fast growing hispanic population in their district
Rev Island said…
Dat ruff still. Not surprised about it though. Its America I guess. Anything goes, but if anyone does it they will attack.
Unknown said…
LOL! Idiat ting dat! The teacher and the principal deserves a good ole' Jamaican beating! A badamind dem bandmind why dem suspend di yute, just because dem caan speak Spanish.
dorna! said…
On the upside that school district will probably end up paying for his college education.