Shooting at MIA

Haven't felt like posting much in a long time. Not much has been going on really, just winding down the semester and trying to make the best of the last few days before I head home to Jamaica for vacation. We've been having a lot of snow and freezing rain lately and the climate is becoming unbearably cold with record lows in the 20s (degrees F). Cannot wait to feel the warm Jamaican sunshine beating down on my ebony skin. Tired of wearing sweaters and jackets and gloves and hats. Winter has just begun and I feel like I'm trapped in that movie, The Day After Tomorrow. I think I'll eventually have to end up burning my math and computer science books to survive this winter what with the high price of gas and all!

So, I have a moral question for you. Today some guy got shot and killed at Miami International Airport by the Sky Marshals because he claimed to have had a bomb on his person. It turns out that the man was mentally disturbed (his wife said that he was bipolar) and had not taken his medication. If you're unfamiliar with the story, read the article by clicking here and tell me what you think. I definately feel that the Sky Marshals acted appropriately in this case, though you are all free to disagree with me if you'd like. The fact is that if a man says he has a bomb on a commercial airline no less, then he deserves to have his clock cleaned. If you know the man is mentally ill and has to travel for long distances, let the man take his rass medication before he flies! Anyhow, I'm curious to hear what y'all have to say.

Comments

Tooomz said…
If he'd said he had a gun I would've been upset that they killed him, they should've shot to disable him instead..but with a bomb, and with him reaching into his bag, I understand why they killed him.

If someone told me they had a bomb, I would believe them. I wouldn't spend time wondering if they were mentally ill or kidding around. Tensions are high in airports.

But I'd also say it depends on the situation. He refused to co-operate and that was the result. If they'd just started firing at him without warning then I'd say they acted inappropriately. It is unfortunate that he passed away.
Unknown said…
I agree with you Angry Dog, you can't be going on a plane after 9/11 and say a statement like that! I think the wife should be prosecuted, if he is mental and he is going somewhere like an airport or on a plne make sure him tek him medication! I don't blame the marshal, he is just doing his job to protect the passengers and himself.
Abeni said…
Unfortunate but hard to be critical of the marshal.For all he knew the wife could have been part of the plot.
Mad Bull said…
Hmph! The other day I parked my car by Funkly Tangs and a mentally mixed up individual started flinking some bricks in the vicinity and I immediately put my nine pon cock! If him did even so much as graze the duco, I'da drop him, much less somebody claiming to have a bomb in the airport?! I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say! Him and anybody wah raise dem voice above a whisper after that woulda get brush! >:-[
CoolDestiny said…
I agree with them taking action but think they should not have killed him but rather shooting to injure.