Would you be my friend if...

I didn't have a blog? This question has been sort of riding my mind a lot lately. See, I look at my blogroll and there are so many people whom I can look to for some daily insight, humor, and even advice on occassions. Is it odd that I feel close to some of my blogroll friends, even though I've never met most of them in real life? Is the blog really and truly my primary source for social interaction nowadays? If so, then God help me!

I am thankful for blogging still, since I've met many wonderful folks in real life, such as Dr. D, Mad Bull, Yamfoot, Scratchie, and Princess P. But the thing is that most of these "blog bredrins and sistrens" are in a different generation than me and I'm not sure our paths would've even crossed had it not been for the common interest in blog-writing. I guess tat the question that best frames what I'm thinking about is how does one go about making friends in the real-world? I seem to have lost that skill, can someone enlighten my darkness?

Comments

I ask myself the same questions sometimes, especially when you get to know some of those people quite well. I hope that my social life doesn't revolve around my blog either..lol
Abeni said…
You have to go out and mingle.Maybe you will strike up a convo and it develops into friendship.But if you isolate yourself at home then you not going to make any friends.
Mad Bull said…
hmmm. go out. keep going to the same place. each trip, talk to someone. soon, it will happen.
Unknown said…
It's true, since I started blogging I've communicated with so many people. As dr d says, the inet does have it's advantages.

But if you go out and be friendly you will meet a lot of people. I don't know if there is any gauranteed ways to make friends but you would be surprised the many ways a friendship can start.
Tooomz said…
Yes, I will..As to meeting people, I rely on friends of friends or work. I haven't made a random friend on my own in a long time.
Jdid said…
Well you meet your friends differently so if you meet some folk online is all good but ya should still have some friends in the 'real world' lol

i think the thing about blogs is it encourages like minded people so it seems easier to chat with someone. is a good thing though i can say i like the folk i've come to meet.
Scratchie said…
For me the internet is just brawta. School has helped me there. Funny part is the friends at school are so much younger than I am. Most friendships start with an interest in common... growing together in a neighbourhood, school, work, auto club, sporting interest......etc. friends from blogging are really no different, the common factor is the blog.
Desiree said…
If it weren't for the blog we'd not have crossed eachothers path... we are some years apart, I gather, and of differnt countries - backgrounds. I'm glad to have met you along with many many other bloggers.

I think that blogging has in some way helped me be more open and able to talk to people outside of the computer. Take your ability to talk and discuss to some other place (but don't leave us, come back and let us know how it goes) and you will find some connection with other humans that aren't just textual friends.
Campfyah said…
some of the most unlikely friendships are the ones that trully last. I've met some great friends via the Net. Yes, yuh haffi get out more and interact wid some peoples close tuh you in age, profession and culture.