Memories of Fridays Past

Happy Friday to all my fellow bloggers! Just swinging by to hail you up before I head out to see Pebbles for the weekend and get some much needed R & R. It's quite rainy here today in West Virginia, but you dun know seh the work haffi gwaan! (*sigh* not like when I was a youngster back in Jamaica and rainy days were always a good excuse to call off school!). Anyhow, as I was driving in to work this morning, my mind began to wander a little bit...you know the usual thing with driving long distances with only the radio for companionship. Anyhow, I began to think about how the meaning of Friday has changed for me over the years and figured that it would be interesting to put things down in words, just to see how my life has changed over time:

When I was in Prep school, Fridays were both frightening and exciting at the same time. Frightening because I had to face my Phys. Ed. instructor and, being one of only two fat kids in school, it was quite a traumatic moment in my young life! See, he figured that he'd try to work off all my fat in one session, and sometimes I think he would've succeeded had it not been for me having to stop exercising to throw up more often than not. On the plus side, Friday was right before Saturday, and I knew that if I could make it to 5:00pm then I'd have the entire weekend to chill out and watch cartoons. Unfortunately, Fridays became pretty bad after a while when my Dad enrolled me for swimmng lessons at the local YMCA center. This meant that I'd not only have Phys. Ed. on a Friday, but my Saturday cartoons were ruined as well! However, life got back to normal after the YMCA burned down.

When I started High School, Fridays were much better, since Phys. Ed. classes were held during the weekdays (a Wednesday I believe) and the coach didn't care too much whether or not you showed up...just prove to him that you could run around a little bit, do a few pushups and situps, and you'd get your A, no problem! I would always look forward to Fridays because it meant that I could kick back and relax at home, probably do a few things with the family, like go to the supermarket for Grandma or occassionally hang out with my Dad and his wife.

From about 3rd form and all through Community College, I became a lot more outgoing and got involved in the martial arts. The people whom I worked out with were like a family and, since I was at an age where I was rejecting my own family, it made sense that I would spend more time with my surrogate family. Fridays were great then because you knew that you could look forward to some intense training, a lot of laughs, and an all-round good time! You'd train hard, feel good about yourself, go home to bed, wake up the next morning, go back to the gym again for some training or the occasional testing or tournament. Usually the "family" would go out on Saturdays to a movie or some other social activity, and you'd get to meet girls by the droves!

Eventually when I made the decision to study abroad my social life went from very high to zero in no time flat. I lived with my aunt for the first semester and Fridays were pretty much for staying home and watching TV or going with her to some church event or hanging out with some of her friends who were many times older than me and whom I had nothing in common with. After she left Little Big City, my social life got a bit better, as I used to hang out with my friends from school at the local student center. Later on, I discovered the joy of hanging out a bars and clubs (a.k.a. liming) smelling everything from stale alcohol to cigarette smoke and weed.

Nowadays, Fridays are divided into odds and evens--I go to see Pebbles on the odd Fridays and stay in Little Big City on the even Fridays. When I go to see Pebbles, we hang out, enjoy each others company, explore the town together, and just have a great time! When I'm in Little Big City, Fridays usually involove cleaning the house, watching TV until the wee hours of the morning, hacking code, grading and preparing for the following week's classes. I have very few friends here and the ones I do have, I rarely see, so I'm pretty much left with a lot of time to think (though all this changes when I touch down in Jamrock), but you know what, I prefer it this way...

Have a great weekend all!

Comments

Abeni said…
That's life always full of changes.Enjoy your wkend with Pebbles
Mad Bull said…
Bwoy, my fridays fuck up compared to the past... always at home sipping pon some rum in from Compi... cho!
Rev Island said…
Enjoy your weekend my dog. The sun is shining here for the first time in about 10 days.. but based on the radar map that might only be a temporary reprieve.. I am trying to enjoy my Saturday, because last night I had to take clothes to a relative who got hurt at work and who had surgery to repair an arm broken in 2 places, and damaged nerves.. etc.. lots of people have gotten hurt working to rebuild Cayman after the wrath of Ivan 13 months ago.. Say hi to Pebbles and have a good weekend.
Marc M said…
This Friday was pretty chill for me, but perhaps a good change in pace.
Tooomz said…
Hope you have a great Friday. Mine was eh at best.
Unknown said…
When I was at primary school, Iused to love fridays, it signalled the beginig of a school free romping fest.

High school was great, weekend of chillin wid mi friends, play some ball and hit di beach.

University, parties and socials and going home to look for mi parents.

Now I don't even know when it's friday, as a matter of fact which day is today?
Scratchie said…
Just a hail up. Hope the weekend was great.