A Likkle Midweek Chat

Well hello there! How are you all doing? Hope everything is fine and the gas prices not killing y'all. I have to tell you though that since gas is now at $3+ / gallon (again) here in good old Little Big City, West Virginia, I feel a great sense of guilt every time I put my foot on the accelerator. Who knew that my entire life would be generalized down to a single equation:

Higher Speed = More Gas = Less Disposable Income = Broke = No Social Life

Yep, that's my life in a nutshell right there! Anyhow, I shouldn't complain still...life isn't all bad, there's food in the fridge, I can afford to go see Pebbles on the weekend and do stuff (though on a much stricter budget), I have my health, and God is good!

Anyhow, before I forget, I have to tell you all about my Tuesday adventures iya! I went to a Jamaican restaurant here in West Virginia, about half an hour or so from my workplace! Can you believe it people? There is actually a Jamaican restaurant here! Now, if you knew where I worked, you too would be shocked and amazed about this fact. I work in an area that is about 99% white and 150% country, if you catch my drift! Here you can see "good ol' boys" running rampant in their jacked up pickup trucks with the confederate flag license plates and/or mud-flaps, deer rifles in the cabs, and camoflauge in abundance! (do you know that you can get camoflauge boxer shorts?). I work in a world where students skip class to go fishin' at the crik (creek) and deer-hunting is more than a hobby, it's a sporting event.

Yes, I work in a rural area, where people get weirded out when they see a person of color walking down the street; hence, I am still trying to figure out how, in all this "redneckness", a Jamaican restaurant that is owned by a bonafied Jamaican hombre which serves (semi) authentic Jamaican food (e.g. ackee and salt-fish codfish) suddenly appears in the middle of this redneck paradise!!! Now, if it had happened in Little Big City, no surprise, I'd probably say that it's about time (Little Big City has a large, diverse population of foreigners, so it's normal to see many restaurants from all over the world), but the fact that it's located this far away is still something I cannot fathom.

But anyhow, I digress. I went there with a faculty member and his wife and we had a great time. I had curry goat (something I'd been missing for a looong time!) and my only complaint was that it wasn't peppery enough (watered down for American tastes) and the portions were less than adequate. Also had an opportunity to drink a couple glasses of Ting, which went really well with the curry goat (I did want a Red Stripe, but wasn't too sure on my colleauge's position on alkyhol). Anyhow, I will definately go to visit again, even if it is to eat two pate (patty) as the manager calls it!

Other than that, I went to another colleauge's house yesterday to hook up her wireless network, so I am promised some Indian food for lunch today. Bwoy, I not complaining still, I'm probably the only technician you could pay in food and he's content :).

Anyhow, I need to go finish doing some adult work and I will holla at unnu lata!

{Respec' in all Aspec'}

Comments

Abeni said…
Gas price still a killer.it must be so good to find some jome food eh.
Scratchie said…
Jamaican food in the middle of redneck territory...ok then.
Mad Bull said…
Big up, A.D. You passed by my place too early, man, I posted after you dropped by. Glad you got a chance to eat up some Yard food. Indian food rocks too! Enjoy.

Hey, I seem to remember you giving a big up to the movie Sin City? Was it you? Yow, Jassica Alba rocks! Any strip club I go to and see a woman of her calibur at, I leaving bruck, Rasta! Aside from that, I never too loved the movie. The story line was too convoluted.
Rev Island said…
As we are all aware, if there are any humans living on another planet, the first will be a Yard man. And of course, him will cook him food and sell it. Big up, J'acan in Rednecksville, USA. Better hush, because I luv my pickup too.. all 5.7Liters of Nissan. ere in Cayman we are paying over US$5 per gallon. Now in March this year when I switched from my 2 door Rav4 it was around 3.75 US. My wallet is screaming for the Rav, but I luv the Titan still. It is a powerful b*tch of a gas guzzler. About US$100 to fill up, and it lasts aroung 13 days. WTF!
Marc M said…
Wow, I'm fortunate not to be driving at the moment.
Anonymous said…
I just finished watching my favorite woman in the whole world...Oprah and she had the cast of "Crash" on today. Very interesting indeed. Apparently the movie is about white people being afraid of black people and how so much of the US is like that. Got me to thinking and I gotta tell ya...I'm more afraid of being attacked by a white man. Don't think I've ever been afraid of any of my black friends. I'm thinking Canada has quite a different mind-set than that of the US.

Did I get off topic...smile?? Happy to hear you found some decent food in your hood and I hope you have a fabulous weekend too!!
Unknown said…
Yep di gas is on the rise, still thinking about getting a bicycle.

Yuh done know Jamaicans haffi deh evey weh! Even in the redneck counties. Yeh the food always seem to lack that pepper when it go up north. Them Americans caan handle di pepper! I was in New York last June and stopped at a Jamaican restaurant, man I had the best oxtail Ihave ever had in my life! That's wierd.
Anonymous said…
Hi Angrydog. If this area is as "country" as you say it is then you wouldn't have needed to worry about your colleagues position of alcohol - you should have just order him 4 fingers of Wray and Nephew and he would have been happy afternoon!