New York Trip

You know, I'm thoroughly enjoying this summer break. For the first time in my life, I have the the three most important elements that make for a fun vaction, i.e. time, money, and wonderful people! Anyhow, New York was a blast! Pebbles and her sister dragged me around the city mercilessly, seeing everything that one could possibly expect to see. My feet hurt, I was exhausted, but still we had a great time.

We arrived at our hotel in East Rutherford, NJ on Friday evening. We decided that it was a tad too late to go to Manhattan and we ended up dining at the TGIF about 1/2 mile from the hotel. Saturday morning found the three of us roaming around Manhattan staring in complete awe at the many gigantic edificies that make up the city's distinctive skyline.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


We spent a little time visiting St. Patrick's cathedral. Very beautiful place indeed. Lots and lots of little stone carvings and many, many tourists.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Of course, no New York trip is complete without a shot of the Chrysler Building...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


...and the Empire State Building.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


We took a tour of the United Nations building. They gave us a discount because the A/C in two of the rooms for the tour were broken. In the picture above, you see the main area where all UN delegates gather. If you can make out the sign of St. Lucia, Jamaica's seat is directly left of it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


After many hours, we found ourselves aboard the Staten Island Ferry, where we got our first good look at the NYC skyline post-9/11. We did go to Ground Zero and believe me it was a heart-wrenching moment to see all the wreckage and debris left in the wake of the disaster...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Here's lady Liberty in all her magnificence. We didn't get to go to the statue herself and I was once more disappointed that I didn't have an opportunity to once more look under the great lady's dress. Though I made up for this disappointment by counting the number of nosehairs in a wax version of Nicolas Cage and staring down Beyonce's dress. Yes, we did visit Madam Tussaud's wax museum on 42nd street.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


On Sunday, we went to Wall Street and I had the sudden urge to make lots and lots of money. Of course, we did have an opportunity to see the Merril-Lynch Bull and I realized that it was really an anotomically correct creation. German tourists seem to love grabbing the bull by the balls, I wonder why...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


After coffee at Starbucks and a meeting with an odd, post-alcoholic Jewish man who tried to convince us to go to the Bronx and walk around (and whom also made the offhanded comment that we didn't seem to be very rich tourists...he's right, but damn!), we managed to find our way to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Originally we intended to go up the Empire State Building on Sunday but because of zero-visibility, we were unable to make it that day. However, being the persistent tourists we are, we went back on Monday morning and waited for almost half day in line for our opportunity to see the wonderful view from the great edifice. It was truly magnificent and totally worth the wait + the $14 entry fee.

We drove the six hours back on Monday evening and I was exhausted beyond belief. However, a day of rest later, we were ready to release our inner children once more and visit Kennywood Amusement Park. I would write about it now, but I'll save it for another day when I have some downtime. I must go now and prepare for a wedding!

{Ruff, Ruff}

Comments

Camille said…
Yo AD... looks like you REALLY did the rounds. Is a fascinating city yes - albeit overwhelming for such as myself.

I never did reach to the Empire State Building mahself, was lucky enough to get into the twin towers back in '86 tho - breath-taking is NOT the word. A real pity they're gone - for more than one reason.

Glad you having a ball...
Marc M said…
Wow sounds like you been having a great time. I've never been to New York so good to hear about the place.
Mad Bull said…
New York was fun, even though I didn't do the grand tour you did. New York always has something going on. I should go back one day, we'll see...
Campfyah said…
Glad you enjoyed the Big Apple. I grew up there and took so many of those magnificant sights forgranted. It wasn't until I got older and was showing some friends around, did I appreciate the bearuty of the city.
dorna! said…
So a great time was had by all and no one got jacked. Double bonus. :)
Don Tate II said…
Have always wanted to go, have never been. Maybe next year.
nahmix said…
Nice blog! I just made my way to NYC in May for a similiar trip. Didn't do Staten Island, but did hit every spot possible, Harlem, BK, Soho, Chelsea, Greenwich Village etc. It was so much fun. I can't wait to actually move there next year!
Yamfoot said…
Dr D, I feel like you....or I should say felt, because now I want to go back sicne they have cleaned up the city.

I last went in 1989 I think it was. Now I hear it's really nice and clean and the crime is down.
Anonymous said…
1980? man thats a long time ago
-_- said…
I've always wanted to go to NYC. A couple of sisterfriends and myself are still planning to rent a 4x4 and just GWAN... we don't know when.
Great pictures! I liked the mini tour.
But eh eh AG, yuh nuh tek one pitcha a yuhself? lol
Jdid said…
busy busy guy
Desiree said…
Wow... you have been travelling and fitting in a lot of site-seeing. I want to go there some day - just for the experience of being there.