The Empty Blog

OK, so I haven't blogged in a long time...so long in fact that the Blogger interface feels strange and unfamiliar to me. Why am I not blogging? Simple question with complex answers:

  • Been too busy working on curriculum changes, research, teaching, and other stuff.

  • Lacking time and inspiration to write, but mostly the latter.

  • My life has become somewhat monotonous and I can't find cool stuff to write about

  • In the moments that I actually do come up with something interesting to write, Blogger eats my fucking (pardon my language) post.



So those are my reasons. Anyhow, today I do have something of marginal interest to write about and it has to do with the death of all these international celebrities and political figures of late. The pope was the last of them, damn I really do miss the pope (even though I'm not Catholic). Actually, he's the only pope I've ever known of in my 20-odd years of existence. Then there was Arafat, who somehow planted himself firmly in my juvenile mind as a political figure of the 80s and 90s. Christopher Reeves (aka Superman), the heroic figure who defined my childhood memories. Ronald Reagan, the president who made "Star Wars" seem real (even though it wasn't such a great idea. Of course, others have gone too, too numerous to mention...but so many people I grew up seeing and hearing about are no more. I suppose that even though I do not know the vast majority of these folks personally, their deaths have a profound impact on me...after all, they were the characters of my childhood and their deaths are symbolic of the end of my youthful innocence and my passage into adulthood. Am I being overly dramatic? Who were your childhood heroes?

Comments

Scratchie said…
Hey Angry D, Welcome back. My characters are pretty much the same as yours. Here in Ja, I never thought I would see the day when Mr. Seaga would leave politics and that has come. When these changes happen you actually wonder more than anything about what will happen from here on. I wonder about our political arena and the things to come.
Tek it easy nuh.
Abeni said…
My grandmother and my aunt.They were my world
Mad Bull said…
My Dad!
Anonymous said…
I have never really been one to have childhood heroes. I guess my parents played that role.

And we nuh waan hear nuh more phucking (pardon language) excuses as to why you haven't blogged...just do it rude bwoy!
;-) Tek it easy. Dr. D.
Jdid said…
neva had no real heroes but like you it feel strange to me to hear these guys are gone. The one figure that seems to be going on and on though is Queen Eliabeth. Boy imagine when she dies how its going to feel talking about King Charles. man dat doan even sound right