Of grants, birthdays, research, and stress

Wow, is it Thursday already? Seems as if the weeks are going by more rapidly than ever! Not that I'm complaining still, in fact I welcome the rapidly moving semester, since it means that we're moving closer and closer to my favorite time of year--summer! Still not sure what my summer plans are going to be as yet though, do I teach or do I come to yard to work construction. I prefer the latter, since it means that I'll be able to link up with folks like the good Doctor, Yammie, Princess P, and anyone else from the blogging crew who'll be in Jamaica for the vacation!

Anyhow, thank God it's Thursday! The week has been a crazy blur of teaching, research, grant seeking, and overall stress...but a good kind of stress, if such a thing is possible. It's funny how the 1-hour drive to and from work that I used to loathe so much have become my salvation...in fact, I look forward to hopping in the car, cranking up my Sizzla CD, and let my thoughts take me wherever they wish. In fact, yesterday I came up with a new title for myself--I'm a neuronslut. Yep, I guess it comes of living the so-called "life of the mind", where your success comes from convincing people that you know a lot about stuff that you vaguely know anything about, or think you know more than you do. God bless academia!

Speaking of the life of the mind, much work has been done this week in the way of grants. Have a potential collaborative grant in the fire with a few other professors from the college, plus a new curriculum grant idea that I proposed to committee this morning. Got lots of positive feedback and it sounds like there is a great deal of potential there, especially when the folks began dropping some big names who would be interested in such a grant! Thank God for this evening and Friday night though, because I need to de-stress++ this week for sure! Oh well, its a wild and crazy world in which we academics live, work, and play...but it gets the bills paid and the students are pretty decent, and at the end of the day satisfaction is what it's all about!

Here's to all of you teachers out there!

(btw: in case you're wondering, my birthday is gonna be on the 11th of this month, so I thought I'd let the world know for once!)

Comments

Jdid said…
sounds like you're having fun though, lol
Scratchie said…
Somebody is enjoying the professor's life. It's good though when you find something that you enjoy doing and are able to keep at it.
Wifey is a teacher so I thank you on her behalf.
Tek it easy.
Anonymous said…
Was boring myself earlier by reading an article in the American Academy of Dermatology...December '04 issue...on management of Autoimmune bullous diseases....won't bore you with the details Prof. I learned a bit. But I won't labour the point anymore here.... its really not IT! ;-)

If you reach in Summer, mek sure bring some of the grant funds with you. It can buy VX! Hope they give it to ya.

Birthday...err, the Dawg? You did born my yute? ;-)) Jus easy. Dr. D.
Anonymous said…
Speaking of dogs and birfdays, the neighbour's bitch just dropped eight pups. Eight more pit bulls to surround me... At least they plan to sell them, though they seem to be overcharging. Is CI$200 a pup they want for them you know? :-o

Mad Bull