A Little Tuesday Morning Poetry

G'morning folks, hope all is going well with you all thus far, and I trust everyone had a really good day yesterday! Anyhow, I just felt like sharing a little poem that's been inside of me for sometime now just waiting to come out, not too sure if it works still, but let's give it a shot!

My Spirit Will Be Free

You may mock me, scorn me, or even try to break me
But as long as I'm alive, my spirit will be free

You may torment me, belittle me, or even strip away my possessions
But as long as my will is strong, my spirit will be free

You may imprision me, enslave me, or even try to steal me
But as long as my thoughts are my own, my spirit will be free

You may torture me, cut me, or even try to burn me
But as long as my heart still beats, my spirit will be free

You may shoot me, you may stab me, or even try to kill me
But as long as my bloodline endures, my spirit will be free

You may take away my family, my friends, or even my name
But as long as my good deeds live on, my spirit will be free

Know that you can never squash the fire that burns within my soul
For my flame has been burning since the beginning of time

Understand that I am a man above men, though never above God
I am African, I am Caribbean, I am American, I am European, I am Asian

I am all things to all men
And once humanity lives on, my spirit will be free

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is one beautiful poem!!! You wrote that??

Hope you enjoyed a very romantic Valentine's Day!!!
Anonymous said…
Pedigree of dogs to rahtid! Respec my yute. Nice. Dr. D.
Melody said…
"As long as my good deeds live on, my spirit will be free." That part is GREAT!! It puts de whole concept ov 'rest in peace' in its proper perspective, Angry. No good deeds = no free spirit.
Scratchie said…
Poetry Doggy???? Dog with distinction :-) good poem. You need to keep up your writing. The stories have become few and far between. What has happened to the League of Writers
-E said…
pretty nice work there
Abeni said…
Yeah man,it worked.The spirit is what keeps us going.
Angry Dog said…
Thanks Maggie, yep, I write all my own stuff :) Hope your Valentine's Day was romantic as well!

I take it that I get the Doc's stamp of approval on my latest effort!

Glad you liked that part about good deeds Melody...hope the rest of the poem was enjoyable as well!

Yes Scratchie, sometimes the dog have to come out of the kennel with a new ting ;). The LXW hasn't been up to much still, I've been busy working on my book of short stories and poems, but I plan to post some stuff there soon!

Thanks -e!

Thanks Abeni or Kami :)!

Mo, I'd like to think that my writing could do a little bit better than a school or a therapist's office :)...though it could do a lot worse, i.e. being scrawled on the wall of some bathroom in some unknown redneck state!
Mad Bull said…
Two thumbs up, Doggy! Woof Woof!!!
Yamfoot said…
this fits in with black history month init.
Jdid said…
excellent work star