The Hidden War

Last night as I lay asleep, somewhere between this world and the next.
I had a dream of days long passed, and battles long since fought.
I dreamt that I was once young and reckless, wild and carefree.
I dreamt that I stood once more upon the bloodied fields of battle,
The crowds chanting my name.

I dreamt that the spirit of war was with me once more,
And I was a man above men.
With flesh and steel, I carved my name.
A truly great warrior for all times.

And so I roused from restless sleep, haunted by my dream.
For deep within the soul of me, I know the warrior sleeps.
For though I've long put down the tainted implements of war,
A battle still rages within me,
It is the hidden war.

I fight the demons of my past, the spirit of failure and despair.
I fight like there is no tomorrow, I fight like a man possessed.
For though I know that I cannot win and death is my only fate.
I will not let myself silently fade away.
For I am a warrior, born and bred, and I will fight to the very end.

Comments

Melody said…
Angry, that's your original?
Angry Dog said…
Hi Melody, yes, that is my original! As is most of the stories and poems that I post here :).
Scratchie said…
Good AD, Creative.
Jdid said…
keep up the good fight my yout
Anonymous said…
Excellent. I give it a B-....jus cool. A my yute, no less! Dr. D.
Anonymous said…
Bwoy, A.D., you sure is you write that! It nice, Iyah... You know, I think you should read the book "Sunbird" by Wilbur Smith. I think you'd like it.

Mad Bull
Desiree said…
very good piece of work... good to hear that the fight is in you, the author... the fight of the demons of the past.