Birthday Bliss + Late Night Vex

Bwoy folks, I tell you that the one named Pebbles good you know! She masterminded the best surprise party that I could ever have wished for! Now, this is how it played out: I get off work at around 4ish, so before I pull out of the parking lot, I give her a quick holla on the cellie. "Yo Pebbles, what's goin' on?" "Nothing much, just finished cleaning the house for your birthday!" So at this point, I'm thinking to myself, "Hmmm, I guess she's gonna have a surprise party waiting for me at home!" So of course, I'm all excited and make it home in record time. Pull up to the parking lot and drive around, none of our friends' cars are to be seen, so of course I'm beginning to have my doubts...not a problem still, apartment complex is big, they hid them somewhere else. So, I walk in to the apartment, all the lights are off, so I'm preparing myself for the surprise. Put my bag down. No shouts of "surprise!". Take my jacket off. No shouts of "surprise". Take my pants off. No shouts of "keep it on!" [OK, I didn't really take my pants off ;)].

Anyhow, there is Pebbles waiting for me. Of course, my first question is "where the cake at?" No cake. Oh well, the other faculty and staff had a cake for me earlier, so no big deal. Next question, "can I order a pizza for my birthday?" Expecting, "No baby, you're on a diet!" or "Let's go somewhere to eat!" I get, "sure why don't you get the largest one, my treat". So at this point I'm really convinced that there's no surprise party for me and when Pebbles presents me with my birthday present (a 256 MB JumpDrive), I'm finally convinced that my birthday will be spend quietly at home in front of the television [it was snowing earlier and I was still exhausted from the training, work, and the commute to go anywhere].

Anyhow, at around 7:00pm, I hear a loud banging noise on my door...of course, because I'm a dumbass, I think to my self..."Rass, is immigration that?" Then I'm like "Wait a sec, I'm legal here!" So, assuming that it's my pizza, I go to open the door only to find most of our friends standing outside with a huge cake and huge grins on their faces! OK, so at this point I'm like "what the f*&k!, I can't believe that y'all played me like that!" To top it off, Pebbles suddenly emerged from the linen closet with all manner of treats! Chips, salsa, soda, you name it! Much fun was had, lots of talking and bonding and living it up....all in all, it was one of the best surprise parties of my life! Thank you Pebbles and thank you friends!!!

Anyhow, the party wound down after a while and we ended up saying our goodbyes at around 11:30pm or so. Great fun! Anyhow, I went to check my e-mail and what I found was a bit vexing to me. Can you imagine folks, a girl that I knew from way back in the day in Jamaica, we're talking about late teens-early 20's. Now, we weren't ever really good friends per se, and we hardly even spoke! I mean in 8 or 10 years, we've only seen each other like five times tops! Anyhow, she sends me an e-mail out of the blue, telling me that she knows it's been a long time since we spoke and she's in a bit of a jam and needs $100. Now, tell me something people, what would you do in a situation like this? Mark you, I'm not saying I have $100 to give anybody, but in a way I feel bad about not helping out my fellow human, but on the other hand, it feels really suspicious, so I don't know what to do...especially since she didn't give me a clue as to what it was about. I put it to you my fellow bloggers, what should the dog do?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good you had a nice surprise....I had a VX for you too. (You never stay up deh and hear me a cuss de bad wud bad wud dawg me know dat claim seh him a twenty eight today?) ;-)

Regards the e-mail requesting the $100...my motto is never lend more than you can afford to lose. However, the fact that you have not been in contact for such a long time and that you are not close now tells me that you really ought not to send her the funds. A simple reply to say that you're sorry to hear of her predicament is fine IMHO.

Of course, don't let me sway you to make your own decision....do what you feel. Dr. D.
Anonymous said…
Clearly the girl is NUTS!!! Run Har!!!
7
Yamfoot said…
tell her you are disappointed that she hasn't sought to stay in touch with you and is now only contacting you becaue she needs money. You are disappointed that she doesnt know your circumstances but she is begging none the less.
Abeni said…
Seeing that she is not really a good friend I would ignore the email.If I real curious I would ask why she wants it.
Melody said…
I'd question de e-mail. Ask her what it's about, 'cause de fact that you're Bloggin' about it suggests that she might be someone you'd like to help but that in light de time an' distance that's separated both ov yu, you don't want to be taken for a fool. Maybe wif more info, you'd be more comfy in your decision to say "yay" or "nay."
-E said…
If you're curious question what she needs it for and how she thinks you could get it to her and when she will pay you back. But word it in a way that you can still deny lending it to her. I think its really shady to ask someone you never knew well, but havent spoken to in that long of a time for money.
Jdid said…
bredren if ya got it like dat, seeing how I duz comment on ya blog every day can ya let off sum funds to de I?

serious though, plain and simple I wouldnt lend her. If you feel to at least find out what its for and if she cant ask anyone else for it.
Mad Bull said…
Just write her back a simple message :

Dear Pastgirl,

How are you? I hope fine. No.

Bye,
AD.
Stu said…
My wife had a surprise for my 40th. It was the best.
Angry Dog said…
Thanks for the feedback folks, I see the general consensus is "don't do it, it looks suspicious, but find out some more if you choose to", which pretty much is what I had in mind...thanks a bunch for putting things in perspective for me still, now I don't feel like a stingy bastard!