This Old House

I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moment's gone.
All my dreams pass before my eyes in curiosity.
Dust in the wind.All they are is dust in the wind.
Same old song.
Just a drop of water in an endless sea.
All we do crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see.
Dust in the wind.
All we are is dust in the wind.
                 Kansas - Dust in the Wind


After working out last night, Pebbles and I spent a few quality hours together watching television, playing Connect Four, and chatting about random things that caught our fancy. After a while, I went to the computer and started looking up old songs from the 80's and 90's on Launch. I found this one song entitled "Dust in the Wind" by a group called Kansas. Now, this song is a ballad of sorts, but something in the words reminds me a lot of my own life. I can relate to Dr. D. when he did his post entitled Too Many Missing... and this song does an exceptionally good job of expressing my feelings on the subject.

Life is just a finite set of epochs that fade before us like dust in the wind and I've learned a long time ago that the good times never really last forever and those that we love will not always be there to share in our happiness, so we must live for the moment and treasure those we care about, while we can. After all, as the song says, "nothing lasts forever but the earth and the sky". This Christmas, I'm going home to a dark, empty house...a house that once held many beautiful memories and days and nights of sheer bliss. The laughter has long since faded from the walls of this old house, those that once lived their have either moved on to the afterlife or have scattered themselves to the four corners of the world. Her paint has long ago faded and the once well-groomed garden now sits barren and unloved.

When did the good times disappear? when did I lose touch with those whom I loved most passionately? Perhaps it was another lifetime, another epoch, or perhaps we are just different people now than we were then. So, now I go back to the shell of what used to be my sanctuary, to spend my first Christmas with my father and his family. Will I be welcomed with open arms? or will I simply be shunned like I was in another time? Will my siblings recognize me and love me as their own? or will they see me as a distant stranger whom they must call "brother" for sake of courtesy? These things I do not know, but can only hope and pray for the best this Christmas.

To all of you out there, remember that the ones closest to you will not be there forever and the good times will pass by in the blink of an eye, so make sure that when you love, you love with all your heart and never hold anything back...for you may one day regret telling that person who's right next to you how much you love them and they will have faded like dust in the wind...

Dedicado a la memoria de mis abuelos que pasaron a mejor vida


{nuff said}

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aaaah Perro, introspectivo esta manana!

I hear you rude bwoy. But, remember, you going come from up so to wag your tail and 'ting inna de house, mek noise, spread good cheer and make good times. Come with a positive attitude that you going mek the best of it (just think how much bread you a fork out pon de airline ticket iyah! ;-) )

You going link up plenty of you peeps and new peeps as well, the local blogging crew...so fret not, de dawg going well happy...fleas, ticks and all! :-) Dr. D.
Anonymous said…
Angry Dog!!! Yu pull at my heart. Yu mek me cry. I totaly agree with Dr. D. Come with a positive attitude. Hold onto your happy memories and create even better ones. I know you'll have a great holiday.

There is a saying-
"Do what you love, live as if this is all there is. Life's journey is the destination ...so dance like no one's watching, work like you don't need the money, and love like you've never been hurt before.."
Abeni said…
Don't worry,everything will be fine.I feel you though on things lost but you know what you can make new memories.
Scratchie said…
Hi all,
AD I hear you. The memories we have are there because we had great times. Let's make today the great memories of tomorrow.
I don't know about you all but I would like to think that when we look back two years from now on today we have things that are worthwhile remembering and not look back and regret that we didn't make the most of the time because we sat down and kept looking at times that we can never reclaim. Live the Jamaican flag guys. Hardships, there are (sadness and pain) but the grass is green (there is life and hope) and the sun shines (a brand new day).
Have a great day.
Jdid said…
I feel you on this one brother but like the rest said try and be positive. life is just as it is, sometimes you're up sometimes youre down. key is just to not let the lows become too low and try to hande them pressures stresses and sadnesses without being overwhelmed. is sad but ya know realize dat happiness may be juss roun the corner.
Anonymous said…
Dog, I think that everyone a yard are anxiously awaiting your arrival. They too may have nervous tinglings about your coming as it sounds like you have never met. But extended is family is still FAMILY and here you have a chance to become involved in the lives of your siblings... take it and claim it and make it your own Dog! Just show them yourself. Everything will be fine.

Have a great time.

Ciya
Melody said…
Ah fink U're gettin de adrenaline together to pounce decisively when yu hit yard--yu sound like that, Doggy--like U're in standin in de shadows, pullin together de energy to launch yu into de Rock wif a bang an' a celebration. De Piggy can just imagine when U an' de yard crew start de partyin!
Vaya con Dios, Doggy (an' tek nuff picture).
Anonymous said…
Ahh wha di bumbo...!?!?! Sorry... What in BLAZES is wrong wid de crew!!!! I come on line to feel better and Dawg yu have me a siddung ah me yard an BAWL!!!! I was barely hanging on all day - now you just have me here wid a headache!
You owe me big time for dis! and your pennance will be heavy - a round of drinks for the crew at Quad!
You and I know what it like when life changes - and there is so much uncertainty around. Sometimes life sucks... (but if it was not so, then you would not be able to recognize happy when you see it!)
Princess P
Tooomz said…
Your post has matched my mood for the past couple of days.

May she rest in peace.