The Weekend Thus Far

Is it Sunday already? darn, where has the weekend run off to!? Next comes Monday, bringing with it the promise of more work and crazy students! BTW, I decided that I'm gonna start working on my PhD probably starting in the Fall of 2005. So, if all goes well, you'll all soon be forced to call me Dr. Dog [oh no, another Dr. D. in the community!]. Anyways, Friday night came and went, didn't do anything much except come home from work and made some of the wikidest roast pork ever! In fact, I can still taste the trenton. Yesterday, I didn't do anything or go anywhere [well, does going to the laundromat count as a social event?]. Pebbles, on the other hand, wasn't going to let her illness ruin her weekend, so she took her sick self out with some friends...of course she's feeling worse this morning, but that's the price one pays for having fun when they're ill. I, on the other hand, opted to sit around on the couch watching movies and thoroughly enjoying a little bit of "Dog Time".



Saw Man on Fire starring Denzel Washington last night. Throughout the movie I had a haunting feeling that I'd seen the film before. Bodyguard happens to be a counter-terrorist expert with a bunch of issues, a little girl he's protecting befriends him and shows him that it's fine to live again, girl gets kidnapped, bodyguard gets shot, survives and goes on a killing spree to find out who killed/kidnapped the kid. Of course, the plot was similar! There was another movie that came out in 1987 called Man on Fire as well! This one starred Scott Glenn though.

Now readers, can you tell me why Denzel seems to be starring in a bunch of re-make movies lately? First was the Manchurian Candidate and now Man on Fire. What is going on with Hollywood? I cannot understand why they're now taking movies that were moderately successful, revising the plot, and then adding an African-American megastar to the mix? Are they really running out of original movie ideas? Or is it that there is a trend where films, like fashion, can be recycled over time? Speaking of which, how many of you know that the Rock's latest film, Walking Tall was actually based on another movie of the same name which was based on the real life story of a small-town sherrif named Buford Pusser. Now, the name Buford sounds pretty much like a Southern, caucasian name to me. When I hear that name, I think of some small, out of the way town, in Backwoods, USA where most of the folks still belief that the confederacy should've won the war and black folks should still be in shackles working for the "massa". Anyhow, how does the Rock, a part-Asian, part-Black, part-Native American get cast into this role?

There you have it once again folks, Hollywood's secret conspiracy revealed. Take marginally interesting movie plots that were done years ago that people probably have forgotten about, cast an African-American (or some variation thereof) megastar as the hero then sit back and reap the benefits! God bless this intricate, complicated, confusing machinery that is the American film industry! I think I might start watching more films from Europe, cause they make more sense and are much more original.

Anyhow, have a restful Sunday and be sure to fill up my little comment box! It's hungry!!

{arf,arf}

Comments

Tooomz said…
You made no mention on whether you enjoyed the film or not. I saw it with a friend and it made us too nauseous to go have dinner.

I've been disappointed with the crop of movies Hollywood's been putting out. I don't think you should look for original movies by them since each studio tries to outdo the other fiming movies with the same plots :P

I'm psyched to hear that you're going after your PhD :D Wish you the best of luck.
Abeni said…
Arrite,good on ya with the PHD.I Man on Fire was a pretty senseless movie but i would like to see it still seeing am a Denzel junkie.I saw Manchurian candidate and it was arrite.Don't hold your breath waiting for originality though from Hollywood.
Anonymous said…
I saw the movie too. I thought it could watch, didn't know it was a remake. If you look at how they made Friday the 13th part 100 and so on, you know that this type of trick is right up their alley. What to do? :-\
Anonymous said…
I haven't seen this movie or the other, but I still thing that Denzel is my kind of guy, and just seeing the poster that you have on your blog....pitta-patta OR is it "pant, pant!"
Ciya
Jdid said…
apparently they are remaking the honeymooners wid cedric the entertainer ansd mike epps.

Watched Walking Tall two nights ago. Actually not that bad a movie. Didnt like Man on Fire, it was rather borng actually.
Anonymous said…
Guweh! There will and can only be one original Dr. D. in Caribbean blogging. Hence, if anything we can christen you Dr. M.

M for Mongrel, Mutt or Mange...whichever you please!
;-)))

Bwoy, me caan tell when last me go movie, but in actual fact, they haven't come up with anything recently that really is grabbing me to go watch.Dr. D.
Anonymous said…
You really did not see the reviews for Man on Fire??? Have not heard one positive thing about it!! (hence I have not wasted my time).
If you want to see some really good films, rent my favorite... "Like Water for Chocolate" - it is a Mexican film - so you either get to practice your spanish, or read subtitles all nite. But it is fantastic!!! Also good is The Red Violin (Samuel Jackson is in it - but not an action movie).

I am still trying to figure out how to get to Dade county gym to see the Rock in the flesh (and SMELL what he's cooking.... :)(see the description of THE sighting at the Tower)!! (the man makes me really weak!)
Princess P