Strange Day

Greetings all bloggers and friends. Now, yesterday was what I would term a strange day. See, I left home just in time to make it to work at the exact time that I needed to be there (give or take two minutes). Anyhow, do you ever notice that when you try to be just in time for some event, you're never on time? I'm not making sense, am I? Well, what I'm trying to say is that if you don't leave sufficient room for error, chances are karma will catch up with you for some prior event that you were late for. Do you ever notice that everyone else seems to drive slow when you're late? It's a known fact I tell you! First of all, I got stuck behind a truck for a good 20 miles. Now, normally the speed limit is 55mph on the road to work, and these trucks tend to do anywhere between 60 - 70mph! It just happened that this truck was loaded down with sheet rock and could only manage 30mph tops [5mph going up hill], plus the road is windy and there is very little room for me to overtake (remember that my car only has +/- 92hp, so I really don't have the power to overtake many other vehicles unless I'm going downhill].

Anyhow, I finally shake the truck and just when I'm ready to put the pedal to the metal as the Americans would say, I get stuck behind a soccer mom's Dodge Caravan minivan *aargh*. She turns off a few miles up the road, so I'm thinking that life is good from here, how wrong was I. All of a sudden a Yugo, yes, a freaking Yugo pulls out in front of me and begins this slow as hell ascent up a 3 mile slope! How does one get stuck behind a Yugo? Tell me now!



Anyhow, 20 minutes late for class...my poor students were all dazed and confused, though I did actually call ahead to let folks know that I was going to be late, so that wasn't too bad. Oh well, c'est la vie! Anyhow, nothing else to report at this time, so I'm gonna go comment on a few blogs and then do the teaching thing :(.

{arf,arf}

Comments

Anonymous said…
I tell you, these Jamaican people, no respect for time....they apply the 'Soon come' attitude to everything including their work! ;-)

Jus cool Dawg. I agree with all you have written here. Anytime you late, you get stuck behind someone who seems to be going for a Sunday afternoon scenic drive and one can never get to overtake them. Anyway, better late than never. Have a good day at work. Me deh yah a loaf 'round the yard....but it's back to the grind tomorrow. :-(((((((( Dr. D.
Anonymous said…
Iz true, man, a so it go! Anywayz, next time try to get out earlier.

Thus spake the Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Bull.
Abeni said…
You cutting it a teny bit too close.Next time you will factor in these little unforeseen things.But it is true when you lateeverything seems to be going on slow march
Angry Dog said…
Hey folks, don't you know I'm a college professor...therefore my life is filled with textbooks and student assignments, so the only way I can live on the edge is by actually doing things like arriving just in time for lecture! *sigh* it's a pathetic life, isn't it?

{arf,arf}
Anonymous said…
Don't lose hope Angry Dog. Whenever that happens to me and aftet I dun cuss some RA$$, I think that maybe there was a reason for me to get behind the slow moving vehicles. Remember, it only takes a second for an accident to happen, so maybe fate is playing you a good hand in a round about way.
Ciya
Scratchie said…
Yugo still exist??? Bway somebody devoted to dem iyah!! Wey di baxide im get parts fi dat inna dis yah age??
Angry Dog said…
Scratchie, Yugo parts still a sell pon di Internet, chop bout! In fact, http://www.yugoparts.com has an extensive stock of said parts. Hell, you can even get performance parts for dat raatid!

Ciya, a glad you see mi point still...I was sorta thinking about the same thing myself, hence I just held my cool and took time driving to work alive and unscathed.

{arf,arf}
Anonymous said…
Sounds to me like you were just having exercises in tolerance and acceptance...smile. So what do you teach? Oh...are you going to give me your real name...smile. Or, we could have a contest to guess it. I'm thinking that would be fun too. Maggie