Monday Morning Blues

It's Monday, Monday, Monday and I'm just not feelin' fine. I dunno why I dislike Mondays so much this time of year. I guess it's because of the changing weather and the fact that I have to be up a little bit earlier to de-ice the car. Oh well, it can only get worse from here :(. I'm planning to join a fitness center tomorrow, I'm getting waaay to out of shape and I'm also feeling depressed these days. The good thing is that I know why I'm depressed, it has to do with the fact that I grew up in the Caribbean and am used to sunshine and the diverse flora and fauna all year round. Here, the weather is cold, the trees are dead, and the only fauna you see are deer [and they can be hazardous to your vehicle's health]. On top of that, the body doesn't move like it should in the summer months, the metabolism speeds up because of the cold, and you just feel cranky and out of sorts all day long. Anyhow, not me, not this winter, I'm gonna get my daily exercise on and beat the winter blues, yes sir I am!

Anyhow, you know I did the craziest thing this morning! My car has the automatic seatbelts that slide up over your shoulders once you turn the ignition on. This usually requires that you are seated when you turn the motor on. Of course, I didn't want to sit down, nor did I want to get my head trapped in the seatbelt again, since it nearly strangled me last week and I only managed not to die a tragic, albeit funny, death was because I was agile enough to release the belt before my head got pressed against the seat. So, this time to avoid strangulation, I released the belt. No problem. Flash forward 50 minutes later and I pull into my parking lot at work, suddenly realizing that the damn seatbelt was still loose! I had driven for just over 40 miles without my shoulder belt!! Can you imagine what would've happened to me had I been pulled over by a cop? Especially in a state where there is a strong click-it or ticket campaign to encourage the wearing of safety belts! I surely would've gotten what the duck get! In fact, imagine if I had had an accident with a deer or another automobile, I wouldn't be sitting in the far corner of my corner office in the corner of the building writing this blog to R.A.S.S!

Anyhow, the lesson to be learned from this is simple: Make sure that you check that your seatbelt is properly attached before you leave the premises! a hoa! Anyhow, I gone to do some blog reading and then off to do some work, so I will see unnu all inna di lataz, zeen!

{arf,arf}

Comments

Tooomz said…
Mondays suck. I don't miss Little Big City weather, but we've been having those days lately. Cloudy and dark..The past week we've had drizzles, did I just make that word up? Has there been lots of ice? Ice is bad, bad, bad.

Can I join with you? I need to rev up my metabolism too.

Hoping your day cheers up. Say hi to Pebbles for me!
Anonymous said…
Winter is not for Caribbean people. Hated the weather when I was in London for the year.

The sun is a joy.
Glad to know that you didn't have any emergency with the seatbelt. Dr. D.
Abeni said…
Winter always made me more homesick than I already was.The very conditions conducive to making you feel even worse than you already do.Gimme summer all year,the Cbean type i.e
Jdid said…
man i'm already feeling the winter blahs especially since I dont have my annual christmas trip back home to look forward too.
Dont know how I"m going to handle this winter at all. I may just flip
Anonymous said…
Cheer up, rude bwoy. A stint at the gym may do the trick for you, yes! Hope it works out.

Thus spake Mad Bull.
Anonymous said…
Scratchie said:
Glad the po po didn't hold you without the belts. Congrats on deciding to do the PhD thing. I'm glad JA doesn't get colder than how it si at christmas. Caan deal wid di freezer livin at all!!!
Anonymous said…
pronounced dead by seat belt, haha now that would be funny. ok, now I'm off into the sunshine. :)
Anonymous said…
I too am a transplanted West Indian, who has suffered from "SAD- Seasonal Affected Disorder" (I think that's what it stands for, but in any case it stands for the winter blues - not enough sunshine.) It got so bad this year, that even when we were having summer ( a CRAPPY summer) if the days were cloudy and overcast I was affected. Once summer showed up for a few days in a stretch however (Late August/early September) I was much better.

I read an article that said that N. Americans suffer from SAD many times more than their counterparts in Finland and other European artic countries because we do not eat as much fish and as such do not get as much Omega 3 as we should. I started taking Omega 3 in October, and I am here to tell you that it has made a big difference! I am pleasantly surprised...my kids think I am alot easier to live with too :-)

I just hope it takes me through the entire winter!

Ciya

PS. I cannot tell you exactly how much to take, because I forget...however I just take one tablet per day.
Desiree said…
The first thing that came to my mind as I read you didn't have your shoulder strap on was 'thank goodness you made it physically safe'... the cop issue and ticket is not a biggie to me, I'd much rather see anyone get a ticket than be injured or killed. I have a feeling you'll check your belt carefully to ensure it is all done right on future trips. I do so hate them auto shoulder straps... I like the three point belt that most vehilces have that do up 'manually'.