Friday Thoughts: Memories

When you're someone that spends two hours per day on the road, five days per week, facing just under ninety miles of windy, deer-infested, redneck overrun mountain roads, there comes a point in your journey when the landscape melds together into a cacaphonous symphony of utter boredom. It's that time when your driving senses go into autopilot mode and you find yourself lost in a void of thoughts, desparately wishing for someone to break the monotony of the moment. I treasure these times. For these are the moments that I can lose myself in the annals of my own subconscious, the time when I can focus my thoughs as sharp as a razor and give birth to earth-shattering ideals and philosophies, most of which will never see the light of day. It is this time that I take to reflect on the past, the present, and the future. I live in a world governed by chaos; in fact, I am chaos...yet it is these few precious moments that help me to rise above the humdrum of contemporary life and take control of the only thing that truly belongs to me, my mind. For the sad truth of my existence is that this two-hour commute is the closest a person of my disposition will ever arrive to Nirvana on earth.

From the shadows of my fragmented, selective, imperfect memories I re-live events that have long since become lost in the sands of time. These few memories are all I have to remind me of who I was, where I came from, and what I've loved. Sometimes my memories torture me, other times they make me laugh, but many times they bring anger and shame to my heart. Am I a good person? do I impact those around me in a positive way? do those that I am closest to truly love me? Many times I find my thoughts straying toward these questions, yet I can never seem to find the correct answer. But, as I proceed through these epochs of my existence, I find that the answers become less and less important and I can only strive to be the best person that my heart and my soul will allow me to be.

I have done much wrong in my relatively short life, I have hurt others around me, as much as they have hurt me--yet, I find myself still paying the price for my transgressions. Does this mean that I am beyond reprieve? or does it simply mean that the soul that lives within this fragile shell will not forgive itself for things of the past? I have not the answer to this conundrum that has become the bane of my existence. I suppose it makes no sense to question these things, for I'm simply a man, and I have no time to dwell on such trivialities. For I must continue to live, though I will forever be a flawed spirit.

{nuff said}

Comments

Abeni said…
Very thought provoking.Just last week Sunday I was talking with this friend and telling him that I crave forgiveness from those close to me for stuff that I have done.His advice,forgive yourself and be the best person you can be from now on.Keep doing the things that make you happy and look forward.I thought it was great advice.Not all that easy to do but still great advice
Scratchie said…
Deep. Dog, Very Deep. I can relate to quite a bit of this though. Have a great weekend.
Anonymous said…
Bwoy, my driving round Ja. does not get me nearly half as deep in thought as this...usually concentrationg on avoiding potholes, the other crazy people on the road and so on. Good post. Dr. D.
Stu said…
OK, you need to stop thinking so hard! Get yourself XM Radio and listen to Comedy XM. You'll rarely have a negative thought after that! At the least you won't be bored!
Desiree said…
Life is a mix of the good and not-so-good. Of course, we seem to focus internally on what we have done wrong; (fortunately, or not?) we don't share it with too many around us. You can live with past transgressions, learn from them and become an improved version of yourself as you move along lifes path.
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for that entry!! It lets me know that I am definitely not alone. I heard it said somewhere that "you are not your past" and I try to focus on that when I get into beating myself up. Maggie
Anonymous said…
Dah one yah deep fi real! Anyway, I say note what you did wrong, learn from it, try not to do it again, forgive yourself and move on. Life well short and we have lots to learn, so don't waste too much time craving forgiveness. At the same time, try to forgive others and let them know that you have forgiven them, as they may well be in the same boat that you are in and doing so could help them out.

Thus spake the Mad Bull.
Anonymous said…
Yow!! Fudge dawg....

Mind blowing, I too dwell on the past a lot and at times I think it consumes me. As much as I try to live a good life I never know who I might have rubbed the wrong way.

I say the Lord's prayer..
Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

And just keep on walking the good path.

Deep dawg, deep

Strainer10
Anonymous said…
Yow, look who asking 'bout how 'tings so quiet inna my corners...come outta de deep end and post suppem fe mek you bredrin dem laugh! ;-))) Dr. D.
Angry Dog said…
I'm glad that so many of you can relate to the words that I wrote. Yes, indeed, life is too short to dwell too much on the things of the past....let's all vow to learn from our mistakes then move on, trying to be better persons as we progress through our epochs of life.

{arf,arf}