The Swan

OK, I'm having a moral meltdown thanks to one of the latest reality programs on FOX called The Swan. The premise of this show is that they take women who are, shall we say, "less than beautiful" in the context of today's "I'm an anorexic, shapeless, size 0 woman willing to give up food and health just to be stunningly beautiful" world and subject them to three months of plastic surgery and a demanding health regimen to make them over into "synthetic divas." Each week, they feature 2 contestants going through the phases of plastic surgery, counselling, and physical fitness. At the end of the program, they reveal the contestants to the public. The one who is voted "most improved" by the panel of "experts" move on to a so-called beauty pageant, while the "loser" goes home with her brand new face, body, and new outlook. Pictured below are the before and afer pics of the first two contestants that they showed last week. The white lady is Jennifer and the black lady is Kim.














Now, the problem is that when I first watched this show, I was thinking to myself "oh no, here we go again, another narcissistic reality show." But, somehow, Jennifer struck a chord in my heart that has put me in a moral slump all week. You see, she had all sorts of latent issues with her mom leaving her when she was a kid. To make matters even worse, she was severely burned in a house fire at the age of 12, leaving her with permanent scars all over her body. Her teeth were all mangled and rotting and she was the epitomy of the tall, shy, awkward girl that everyone made fun of in school (and probably still do). It was amazing to see how, in twelve weeks, this woman was completely transformed into a more confident person that was drop-dead gorgeous, but still shy and awkward enough to make you feel symphathy and joy for her all at once.

I've never really been a fan of plastic surgery just to satisfy the social ideals of beauty...you know, the typical arguments like "oh, I think my nose is too large" or "my breasts aren't big enough to attract guys" or "I need calf or pectorial implants to make myself look more appealing to the ladies." However, to see the confidence that this woman emanated when all was said and done made me realize that it can't be all bad...then again, another issue pops up--why are we altering what God gave us in the first place? But, if God didn't want people to do plastic surgery, would He have given us the medical technology and the human expertise to do this?

OK, so here's the underlying question that arises out of all of this: Do you agree with plastic surgery? If so, do you agree that it should be used whenever someone is dissatisfied with a perfectly good body part or should it be used only in extreme medical cases? Drop me a comment and let me know what you think about this moral dilemma that I'm facing.

{arf,arf}

Comments

Wolf said…
Ultimately, I think each person is master of his/her own body, and should do as s/he pleases with it. But if you want me to look at it from a more socially-conscious perspective, I think the fact that some people can afford to do it puts those who can't at a disadvantage. If you're rich and ugly, you can fix it so you're no longer ugly. If you're poor and ugly, well, you're fucked from both ends. [I won't get into what constitutes 'ugly' because that's an entirely different topic.]

On an evolutionary perspective, money becomes the factor by which we cheat biology. Subconsciously, humans still function at a basic biological level, looking at physical fitness as a reflection of good genetics (good breeding stock). If we alter our physical appearance we're tricking this biological urge. [Though this is probably not all that important, it is a part of biological psychology, so to speak.] So if you straighten your crooked teeth, you could still have kids with crooked teeth.

But do I think in terms of should/shouldn't? People will still do it. There are times when I think I could never do it on myself, and there are times when I think a little nip and tuck would improve my life. Will I do it? If one day I have the cash to burn, maybe. If I never have enough money, though, I don't think I'll worry too much about it.

I don't think I've given you an answer, but I hope I've at least given you something to chew on. ;)
Yamfoot said…
If the poastic surgery will give you more confidence, and therefore change your life for the better, go for it. I've already mentioned on my blog (after watching an episode of The Swan too) that there is only one type that I would do, but it's something I've considered doing for much of my adult life.

But like you AD, the God thing comes in, and I think that if I decide to go under the knife in pursuit of beauty, that God will reward me with death or some other medical complication which makes me worse off than before!
Anonymous said…
AD, plastic surgery has its role. Certainly for people who have been scarred as a result of thermal or chemical burns and accidents. If you are unhappy with your body...I believe that to a certain extent you can do something about it in the cosmetic surgey line. But, I think that people who are so narcissistic that their sole focus in life is their 'packaging' so to speak and not what type of person they are, need to come into touch with reality. Beauty is only skin deep and some of the most unattractive people around have some of the nicest personalities and vice versa. Every puss and dawg 'up so' who finds themselves with a Five Grand to spare waan fix nose, or enlarge dem breasts.

The problem with us humans as Jay mentioned, is that when me meet people (especially of the opposite sex as mates) it is often the physical that attracts us first. We attribute good looks, healthy looking skin etc as favourable...nobody really wants to have unattractive offspring if they can avoid it. Basically, it comes down to striking a balance.

As a Dermatologist I really do not love the cosmetic clientele (and hence may have doomed myself to be forever poor), they are far too focussed on how they look, and they are not sick....(maybe some are mentally). But, I have seen the negative impact that a bad case of skin disease such as Acne can have on the self esteem of a young person. I have treated such patients and seen the improvement in their self confidence and psyche..it really is amazing. Unfortunately, as human civilization becomes more focussed on the physical we will simply be seeing more and more cosmetic surgery. That's my ten cents (Jamaican) worth. Dr. D.
Anonymous said…
Happy Halloween!

I think it should only be used in a case like Jennifer's. The rest is up to parents to give their children good self-esteem. Maggie
Desiree said…
I do agree with plastic surgery to a degree. I watched several episodes of 'The Swan' last year, and all in all it was too much surgery. Much can be done to improve one's appearance by changing hairstyle, by exercising (that can make a huge differenc!) and by the way we dress ourselves.
Angry Dog said…
Thanks for the response folks. Jay and Dr. D. I like the insight that you both bring to the table with respect to this cosmetic surgery phenomenon...it makes much sense! Yamfoot, Maggie, and Desiree, thanks for your input, particularly from the female perspective. I definately agree with what you all are saying: cosmetic surgery, like most things in this world, has a positive and a negative side and its up to us to decide what we feel the most comfortable doing with ourselves.

{arf,arf}
Anonymous said…
If you can afford it and you want to do it, go for it! As others here have said, it can do wonders for your outlook on life, your self confidence, etc. As Doc said, everybody will judge you based on how you look, so why not do it? - Mad Bull
Anonymous said…
Okay, these women in this show have some real challenges day to day with depression, discomfort, insecurity and so much more due to their appearances - so thank God there's something that can change their lives!

As to those of us who choose elective plastic surgery - I think many, many people get very carried away o\with this. I forget which show it was, but there was a show that used to highlight different plastic surgery procedures - whether it was teenage girls getting nose jobs, liposuction or guys getting their calves done or butts - much of that is just plain ridiculous and a case of people having more money than sense, and doctors saying, "Weeellll, if you have the money..."

But as one who really wants to have a boob job - and am obviously quite open about that fact - I think everything is relative! My insecurity may seem insubstantial to you - but it may be everything to me!
It is something that comes from within, as in my case, Midas thinks I'm perfect the way i am (or so he assures me anyway :D) but its my insecurity nonetheless - will it change my life to address it - I know so!!!

Okay, its late, excuse any typos!!!

So, I'm all for doing the reasonable things in life that make us feel more confident and secure in ourselves... the key being reasonable!!!
Anonymous said…
sorry, that was from me...

7
Angry Dog said…
Sunshine, MB, and Seven very good points...agreed that if one wants to do something that will make he/she feel more confident/comfortable with themselves, go right ahead.

{arf,arf}