Sing For The Moment...

Sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear
Sing with me now, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away


I was driving to work this morning and the verse for this old Aerosmith song just popped into my head. After meeting with a few people interested in doing their Bachelors in Computer Science, I decided to settle down and read the posts of a few of the members of the blogging crew. Sunshine's post entitled The Right Attitude really spoke to me this morning. I started to think about the many opportunites that I've had in the past to hang out with my friends and family and have fun, yet I was always too busy. When I think back about the number of memories I've lost the opportunitiy to build, I get a really funny feeling in my stomach. How I wish I'd spent more time with my grandparents, instead of spending all my teenage years on the streets or in the dojang (martial arts training hall). How I wish I'd have gone to the parties that my friends invited me to back in High School and Community College.

Many Saturdays, I find myself sitting around at home vegging in front of the television, instead of getting out and living life instead of observing this canned product that imitates life. I could never understand, until now, why Pebbles gets all agitated when she stays home on the weekends and why it is that even a small opportunity to run out to the supermarket or to a friend's house or just a simple walk around the block to look at leaves can bring her that much happiness. I think I understand these things now.

According to The GeSource website, Jamaican males have a life expectancy of 74 years. If I want to depress myself a bit more, I can say that I have about 47 years of life left in me. 47 years is roughly 2,444 weeks and that means that I only have 2,256 Saturdays left to enjoy. Shit, life doesn't really feel like a whole lot when you express it in terms of simple arithmetic does it? I don't really want to die, nor do I want those that are closest to me to die either, but the odds are looking pretty rough at this point!

But, you know what, instead of getting depressed about these facts, figures, and speculations I'm going to say to hell with the arithmetic, forget about the prospects of dying and begin to live! It's time to take care of myself and those around me. Time to change the way I eat, drink, and live my life. Time to start making those 2,256 Saturdays start counting for everything. So, right now, I've made up my mind that I'm going to Sing For The Moment. I'm going to sing for the laughter, sing for the tears. I'll sing for tomorrow and I'll sing for today, for when the good Lord comes to take me away, I can say "I did it my way!"

I hope you all who read my blog and to whom I'm closest with will be able to see things the way I see it and be able to sing with me!

{nuff said}

Comments

Anonymous said…
first time I heard that song was the version that eminem did (same name). you should listen to that one too it's great.
Life is like a box a chocolates
Angry Dog said…
Hey Anonymous, I know the version by eminem as well, in fact it's in my car's CD player even as I sleep. Just like the old school one because it's just that, original.
Anonymous said…
Sorry, I know neither the Aerosmith nor the Emimen versions (hope the spelling is correct there...although I must admit, that it doesn't bother me overly if the spelling isn't great) But I do agree with your sentiments. Live for today, make every day count.
Ciya
Stu said…
I am so out of pop culture. I have to admit, I have never heard that song before or at least I don't recognize the words.
Anonymous said…
Hey AD, I don't know the song at all. BUT, the words expressed in your post here...I think I got to this stage after I learned to accpet my Mother's passing from life as we know it. She was only 56. Still young.

This is my outlook on life, enjoy it to its fullest. Live each day like it is your last. Work hard and play hard. Try not to be at variance with anyone. I personally would not like to die and leave life with ill feelings for people. Try to solve your differences. Do your best to help out a bredrin in a time of need, your time will be sure to come.

Sounds very idealistic and at times not easy to achieve. Don't look at the numbers rude bwoy, as short as our time here is, the good times can make the bad times look anaemic to rass! Dr. D.
Desiree said…
I know that song... reminds me of my younger years. Hmm... there you go, now you have me thinking of age. Anyway, nevermind counting off potential Saturdays and keep enjoying life moment to moment... that is about the best way to do it.
Yamfoot said…
Oh goody, another one has come to their senses. That it's no use to spend your time doing mundane boring things, that you must get out there and do the things that have captured your heart.

Hence my frequent trips to wherever....and I'm broke as a church mouse, but I', 99% happy with what I've done in my how ever many weeks on this earth!
Anonymous said…
Doh know the song, but the ideas you expressed I can well identify wid... At the same time, balance the current living with plans for the future, because when you old and you doh have two shilling to rub together, well, you corner can get really dark, you simi? - Mad Bull